It is something that all women face. A time of great change, and this change can be hard and painful for it is a death as well as a rebirth.
I believe women need held circles of women who journey together and become sisters, where wisdom can be handed down from crone to mother to maiden to child. Without this how are we as girls and women ever meant to navigate our way through all of life’s changes in a healthy way? If you can’t find those circles of women or a crones groups then make one.
The menopause is a very important time to love yourself and commit to compassionate self-care, you will have to slowly face and uncover long held emotions and anger if it hasn’t been dealt with already. Take it slowly, write and journal, work with your dreams and take steps to live the life you love. Make sure you have alone time and plan your own crone’s journey into the wild, take a year out to explore, lie naked belly down in the sea or against the earth as much as you can. Commit to a ceremony for yourself once you are post menopause for then you can be crowned the whole woman, the crone and the wise one.
There are many ways in which to make this transition easier, one of which is taking up the help and support from the green allies all around you. Here are just a few and how to take them.
If you haven’t reached this stage of your life don’t wait until menopause knocks at the door, start looking after yourself now. A diet rich in minerals and vitamins, drink herbal infusions and love who you are; all of this will help the transition when the time comes.
Nourishing herbal infusions – are the best way to make use of all the proteins, minerals, phytoestrogens, and special fats needed by menopausal women. Here are some herbs which are good in infusions.
- Nettles– are a super food that slowly build energy into the body, an adrenal strengthener and restorer of blood vessels. It is jam packed full of calcium, protein, magnesium, zinc and so much more. It will help you build a healthy heart, thick hair, beautiful skin, and lots of energy.
- Oatstraw – A lovely relaxing ally that is so rich in calcium it will make you bones and teeth healthy. It will nourish your nerves and is great to use when under stress and in need of calming the emotional uproar. It will relieve physical and emotional pain and strengthen vaginal, bladder and urethral tissues. A cup of Oatsraw infusion in the morning will nourish your adrenals and liver.
- Comfrey – Comfrey leaf is also known as “knitbone,” and no better ally for the woman with thin bones can be found. Its soothing mucilage adds flexibility to joints, eyes, vagina, and lungs. (do not use the roots internally, only leaves)
- Black Cohosh– Numerous studies show black cohosh tincture to be very effective in relieving hot flushes and reducing night sweats. It is also good for helping with water retention, joint pain and fatigue. It increases energy and calms nerves, it has long been praised as a herb for hysterical women. It also increases vaginal lubrication and counteracts prolapse.
- Chaste tree– this has been used for menopausal women for many a year. This herb helps to stop flooding, spotting and irregular cycles. It redirects hysteria into focused action helping you to use your wild womb energy wisely and brings on emotional calm. Clearing skin, constipation and digestive stress.
- Motherwort- A beautiful ally to women stressed by the menopause. Motherwort supports and calms you the way the touch and smell of a loving mother would a very young child. Used regularly it works on your nerves, unclenching tensions held in the body. It lessens the frequency, duration and severity of hot flashes. Motherwort is not sedating but calming and will be your ally in stressed and shaky times, in scary and enraging times, in depressed and grief filled times. – As a tincture 10-20 drops as soon as you start to feel on the edge. Repeat as needed.
- Sage- Calms the womb, belly and mind of women. It is the most effective herb at drying up perspiration from hot flashes, relieves dizziness, trembling and emotional swings. Slows the aging process and reduces bladder infections. This is also very very good taken as a tea or in an infusion.
Calcium intake and bone health is very very important during the menopausal years and pills/supplements just don’t cut the mustard. Vinegar has an amazing ability to dissolve calcium from plants and hold it in its solution.
Iron filled vinegar recipe –
Yellow Dock , Plantain, Dandelion, Nettle, Cronewort/Mugwort, Raspberry, Red clover blossoms.
Completely fill a 2 pint jar with one or more of these herbs using fresh plant material. Pour raw apple cider vinegar over the herbs filling the jar. Cover for 6 weeks then take the plant material out. A tablespoonful of this vinegar will supply about 150-200mg of calcium. Take a tablespoon before each meal